ARDEX Americas, (www.ArdexAmericas.com), part of the ARDEX Group, is a global key player in the manufacturing and development of high-performance specialty building materials, leading the industry with consistent product innovation for the most complex installations including concrete repair and resurfacing, substrate preparation, flooring installation, and tile and stone installation materials.
We are immediately hiring a Lead Chemist / Formulator with extensive experience of formulating and testing cement based products for the construction industry, with an emphasis on tile adhesives and mortars.
As Lead Chemist / Formulator, you will be responsible for leading new product development, and product improvement projects. Formulation experience is essential. Supervisory experience preferred, or the ability to lead a team of experienced R&D technicians.
This position is full-time, to be based at our Corporate offices, set within a scenic 52-acre woodland campus, located just North of Pittsburgh, in Aliquippa - 15 minutes from Pittsburgh International Airport.
- Co-ordinates all R&D activity for the Powders Group at the general direction of the Manager, R&D and QA
- Manages and leads projects/timelines for raw materials, localizations, product issues and new product development by allocating appropriate R&D resources.
- Formulates cementitious products, for a variety of end-uses, utilizing professional chemical background and accepted company and industry procedures and techniques, in line with specific project requirements. Project goals may require oversight or coordination of field trials, and/or participation in manufacturing scale up activities.
- Performs evaluations primarily with technician(s) assistance (as part of a specified project) with tests as required by industry practices and experience and/or specific project requirements.
- Interprets laboratory and /or field test findings to assess suitability of formulated product compared to company and industry standards, as defined by project goals, and reports verbally or in writing to R&D, Marketing and ARDEX management team or others as directed.
- Completes company-required documentation in connection with project assignment including laboratory notebooks, project reports, and new or revised product specifications,
- Leads regular project review meetings with R&D Director and other functional areas (i.e. Marketing, Quality Control, Technical, Production).
- Provides technical leadership to peers and subordinates on a routine basis
- Responsible for team training and development, objective setting, performance appraisals
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in formulation of cement based, construction products is essential.
- Tile adhesives and/or levelling compounds experience is preferred
- Consistent and sustained track record of successful product development
- Supervisory experience with laboratory technicians is preferred
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to communicate (oral and written) with all levels
- Ability to work as an experienced professional with little direct supervision
- Ability to manage and move forward several projects simultaneously (project management and prioritization)
- Membership in appropriate technical associations desirable.
- Self-starter - ability to initiate and execute with limited assistance.
- Effective writing skills
- Professional image and customer service attitude
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the Internet
- Results driven and self-motivated
- Excellent time management, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent listening and team building skills are required
- Ability to travel occasionally (10-20%), including some overnight
- MS or Ph.D in Chemistry/ Polymer Science or Colloids, or, Bachelor’s in Chemistry with relevant industry experience
Industry competitive compensation, excellent benefits package to include Paid Time off (PTO), 11 Paid Holidays, 401K match, Vision, Medical, Dental, flexible work initiatives, tuition reimbursement program (up to $5,500 annually), reduced gym memberships, pet insurance & more!
About ARDEX: Want to put your career on a solid foundation?
As a family-owned company, our employees are the foundation of what we do, and enjoy a culture that promotes team-spirit, innovation, and excellence in all we do. ARDEX employs over 350 people in North America, and over 2,500 worldwide. Our corporate offices are located in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, 15 minutes from Pittsburgh International Airport, and serves our U.S., Canada, and Latin America businesses.
Committed to People Development: Recipients of PHRA Engaging Pittsburgh, Innovative People Practices for Learning and Development, 2017.
To learn more about ARDEX and view our corporate video, go to: https://www.youtube.com/user/ARDEX101
Should you experience any difficulties using our online application database, simply send your resume and cover letter to: careers@ArdexAmericas.com